Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Pitchwars Mentee Bio

My older daughter Brylie and I on a balcony of Pike's Place, Seattle
2012
 

E.G. Moore is a poet, freelance writer, and storyteller (the first, THE OWL THAT SAID RUFF, her mom still has recorded on a cassette tape.)  She is an active member of Kitsap County Writer’s Group, For Pete’s Sake Writers Group, and an email writer’s response group. When she’s not telling “Mommy Made stories” to her two daughters or nagging her husband to edit her latest manuscript, she can be found preparing ice breakers for her next MOPS meeting, attending bible study, or on a long, plot-refreshing jog.

I'm not going to lie.  I am tweet-stalking the Pitchwars mentors I submitted to on this, my first ever Pitchwars participation. In fact, 2013 is the first year I have participated professionally in anything related to being a writer, except the actual writing. I have been writing since I could string together words to make sentences.

Why you should choose me:

1. I am a very determined person.  In fact, my first college job only happened because I am pretty sure that the Manager at Pier 1 Imports was tired of me showing up randomly.  At least if she hired me, she would know when to expect me.  Need another example? I just won NANO and I had never participated in it before. It was the longest and most exhilarating month of my life!

2. I am willing to slice and dice my manuscript to bits if it means it will be better.  I only follow this rule with books; Children and exquisite cuisine are exempt.

3. I am a hard worker.  I won't stop editing and conversing with my mentor until my fingers have bled, my eyes are twitching, and that manuscript is shiny as a new penny.

4. I am a team player.  My mentor will be esteemed and more then a mentor, she will be a friend and probably part of my life forevermore.

5. I need the help!  I know my manuscript isn't perfect, and my query is a stinking mess.  But every thing that a mentor teaches me will be more then a quick fix.  I am going to condense their expertise and suggestions into my brain like a biological zip drive.

6. I have an over abundant love for exclamation points!!!! See!?!?! We can count them in my manuscript together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why you should choose my MG novel MOON DAUGHTER RISING:

1.  There is an unhealthy lack of fiction for middle grade readers that weaves the culture and myths of Native American tribes into their stories.  I am enchanted with their ways, and want to teach the youth of the world with my stories.

2. The theme and lesson I embedded in my plot is so smooth, you could mix it with sugar and make cookies.

3. Social platforms are my dominion.  Meeting people and connecting with them in a very personal way comes naturally to me, and so does talking about my novel because...

4.  ... I absolutely love, Love, LOVE this story.  I know, I know, every author says this but for me it is more then loving my creation.  I love why I wrote it (to teach my daughter how naughty telling lies is). I have loved my protagonist since I first wrote about her (and I have hated a couple in the last year and rewritten them).  I love how much of my creative juices spattered and oozed through the manuscript pages.  And most of all, I loved rewriting it.  I don't think many authors can say that!

Thanks for swinging in! Please leave a comment and chirp at me on twitter!

6 comments:

  1. These are some really great reasons for you to be picked!! I really like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a lot as well :) I would totally be up for connecting :)) You can find me on Twitter as well, DM me if you like, and you already found my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily! Nice to meet you! Thanks for your comment on my blog and the follow! I'm following you as well and see you won NaNo! That's awesome congrats! Good luck in Pitch Wars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Good luck to you in Pitch Wars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Emily,
    Thanks for the blog comment. Good luck in the trenches. I couldn't agree more that there should be more Native based stories, and not just folklore and mythology focused. The Puget Sound is so rich with tribal culture - hope you've had a chance to get involved and learn more first hand. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily! It was nice of you to stop by my blog. Good luck to you in PitchWars, I'll be looking for your name on the 11th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't use many exclamation points in my novel writing, but in my personal stuff, all the time! :)

    And I overuse smiley faces too.

    Good luck in Pitch Wars--only a few days left now.

    ReplyDelete