Wednesday, July 23, 2014

W.I.P. Blog Hop

I'm participating in my first ever blog hop, so pardon me if I -eeeeekkkk- have a moment or two throughout. The fabulous S. Usher Evans tagged me, eager to learn more about my story. Thanks, Love! Dom made it as a finalist in Michelle Hauck's query contest In With The New this past Monday, so I thought I would share more about the main character, Dominic Sanders.

 

What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or historical?

Dom Sanders is a trickster of a twelve-year-old out to have the best summer of his life. While Dom is mostly fictional, the inspiration for this novel comes from the stories my in-laws told me about my husband Nolan and his brother Logan. So in a weird way, Dom is a semi-historical character based on my husband. 

 

When and where is the story set?

The story is set in Millville, a small California valley town in 1998. It's based loosely on Hayfork, California, where my husband and I grew up. All the different places in the settings (as well as some of the minor characters) are based off places I remember from growing up.
 

 

What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?

 Dom notices Mom didn't pull any meat out for dinner, and decides to go hunting for some fresh game. Up in the federal lands behind their new property, Dom hears an argument between a corrupt cop and a weed dealer, and sees the dealer kill the cop. From then on, he struggles with guilt and doing the right thing. And the few times he follows morals, it backfires.

 

What is the personal goal of the character?

Initially, it's to scam kids out of money so he can buy a horse, but by the end of the novel, he wants to live life without looking over his shoulder and without being a hero.

 

Is there a working title?

This novel has changed names, oh I don't know, a dozen times. It's a modern retelling of THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER, so I played with titles similar for a while. But the word rowdy kept coming up, so finally I decided on the title ROWDY DAYS OF DOM SANDERS.

Where can we see more?

The only place you can see more right now is on Michelle's blog for the contest I mentioned above. Please don't comment, as that is reserved for agents who want more of the manuscript. Click here to check out my entry.

Be sure to subscribe to my blog for updates on requests for Dom and his publishing experience in the future! Also, follow me on twitter if you like.

 

The next victims?

I think we should keep the New Agent contestants going in this hop, but  I can only tag 3!??!??! Dang it, if I must chose:

Nikki Roberti - My new friend and critique partner because she was great at matching my energy at the In With the New twitter party all week and made me laugh on numerous occassions.

Kendra Young -  Another awesome contestant with wit like I haven't seen in a while. She and I shared virtual tequila floats on the hard days of waiting, and the girl is getting mad requests in the contest.

Keith Willis - The knight of the twitter party, Keith's repertoire and puns had me going all week, plus this guy's writing is awesome. I guarantee I will buy everything he writes!


Alright you three, let's see your W.I.P. blog posts! If you don't have a blog, I'd be willing to put it up on mine. Otherwise, share the link with me so I can spread the word!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent work! Keep blogging - you are excellent at it. :)

    Your story sounds so super interesting, and I'm beyond thrilled that you made it to the agent round. Looking orward to seeing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, thanks for tagging me. You can find my blog/website at https://sites.google.com/site/keithwwillisauthorsite/. Congrats on making the agent round for IWTN--hope you get lots of traction out of your requests. And thanks for your kind words--makes all the hard work seem worth it.

    ReplyDelete