Thursday, September 11, 2014

10 Books That Have Affected Me

A one, fabulous Ms. Hayley Stone tagged me well over a week ago to write about ten books that affected me in some way. (Click her name above to go to her fabulous blog!) To be honest, I had no idea how to narrow it down to just ten. So bear with me and keep in mind that I have dozens more that I love.

1. Into the Land of the Unicorns 
This is one of my all-time favorite novels. I read it over and over and over until it fell apart. Then I taped it back together and kept reading it. Yes sir, I still have the same copy awaiting my daughters. Something in Cara's determination and curiosity, plus the mystery surrounding the Hunter made her feel like a friend to me. At my tender age, it gave me hope that I could do anything, just like Cara.




2. My Sister's Keeper
I read this much later in life (because, you know, I'm so old at twenty-eight). The emotional depth and sly narrating that made the twist at the end happen totally suckered me in. I loved this about all Jodi Picoult's books.







3. The Constant Princess
This was the first of Phillippa Gregory's novels I read, and I soon devoured every single one. She fed my love for historical novels with her vivid imagery and distinct development of every character.








4. The Talking Eggs
My earliest library memory was of the Hayfork Elementary Librarian reading this picture book to my class as we lounged on the ragged green and orange carpet. The details and the moral of the story stuck with me for life.





5. Tumford the Terrible
This hilarious picture book with a sound lesson is my youngest daughter's absolute favorite, so much so that I have it memorized. And I love it too. My mother-in-law sent this in a string of Nancy Tillman books. That tradition started with....







6. On The Night You Were Born
...this one! It has beautiful illustrations, sound truths about the value of each person, that happy gut feeling, and tears every read. Mix that with the struggle I had birthing my oldest daughter, who received this as a baby and you know its on my favorites list.





7. Anne of Green Gables, etc...
  
I loved these sort of early classics, but Anne takes the cake! Plus, the love/hate relationship Anne and Gilbert have sort of resembles me and my husband's friendship growing up together. Hilarious with a happy ending. 







8. Daughter of the Forest
If you love fantasy, especially with a fable base, and you haven't read this book and it's additional series titles, go get it right now! In my opinion, Juliet Marillier is a master story teller. Her vivid imagery and superb characters make this a page turner.







9. Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
This book helped me through some hard emotional times, including the bout of depression that eventually lead me back to writing and kick-started my freelancing and fiction career. Some deep questions about not only about God but being honest with ourselves and trusting in His plans.







10. Persuasion
If I had to chose an all-time favorite classic, Persuasion would win every time. Jane Austen is subtly witty, and her books' messages still translate into situations in our modern world. I like all her books really. Persuasion just happens to be my favorite. Forget Mr. Darcy. Captain Fredrick Wentworth is "much handsomer, how infinitely more agreeable..."





And there you have it, the ten books that bolstered my reading habit and kept my love of literature alive until I decided to write my own.

Commenters, what was your earliest library memory? What book was a part of it?



It's my turn to tag a few people. I chose Shari Shwarz, Brian Montanaro, and Jessie Mullins. I can't wait to read your book picks. If you need a place to post, feel free to put your picks on a guest post here at E.G. Moore Freelance and Fiction! 

4 comments:

  1. Jane Austen and Anne of Green Gables...we're talking the same language. I've not yet managed to bring myself to read a Jodi Picoult - I know she's great, but I also know they are a bit heavy on the emotions. One day...
    Great list Emily (my daughter's name - so yay!), and thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we must be bosom friends! Don't let emotion scare you! The experience is worth the tears.

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily,

    Good to be over at your blog as well :)

    Interesting books indeed, and I wish I had the time to read them, or any other for that matter. Being a freelance writer myself, I just don't get the time any longer from writing and blogging. I guess I've become more a blogger now...lol...but the reader and writer in me still lives!

    Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!!!! unicorns!!! I loved Bruce Colville's book, too. Persuasion is also my favorite Jane Austin, and Anne of Green Gables, and My Sister's Keeper - all faves!! SO much fun to discover we have similar eclectic taste in reading, too. I've read Juliet Marillier's Wild Wood Dancing and have been meaning to read more of her books, too, same with Philippa Gregory. And I'm going to find those picture books, too. I'm hoping my girls never out grow picture books (like I've never out grown them, too).

    ReplyDelete