Monday, October 13, 2014

All about my main character, because Nikki wanted to know!

Once again, my writerly friends have swept me up into another blog hop! I’ve been tagged by the fabulous Nikki Roberti for the “Writerly Meme” which is all about my main character from my latest novel. (Check out her Meme post here.) Though DOM is being thrown in editors' and agents' inboxes and entered in contests galore lately, I'm actually going to talk about one of my W.I.P novel's main characters (it's a multiple point-of-view manuscript).

1) What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person? 
 Samana (pronounced Sa-mana) is a Flairian Wanderer, a homeless member of a superior race to man with talent/magic tattoos.
 
2) When is the story set?
Dyshiwi is a fictional land based loosely on the US Southwestern deserts and cliff dwellings.

3) What should we know about him/her? 
 She's rough around the edges, very untrusting of others, and confused about her place in society. Unlike other young flairians, she's had her mark since infancy and no power or talents to go along with it.

4) What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life? 
 The leader of the land is collecting Wanderers to work alongside humans in mines and pits. When the only person Samana trusts is snatched up and then they come for her, she does the only thing she knows how: she runs.

5) What is the personal goal of the character?
Samana just wants to belong somewhere, and becoming an apprentice might get her there. That is, until a rebellion brews in Dyshiwi, and the Flairian she might care for is a part of it.
 
6) Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it?  
It's part of a two book series called The Flairian Tradition, and it's working title is SAMANA'S FLAIR. The second book, entitled A SOUL AND A SONG, will be my 2014 NANO project if I can complete the first one this month. I've posted bits and pieces on this blog over the last six months, but hardly any beta readers or even CPs have seen much of it yet. I've only written 11 chapters!

7) When can we expect the book to be published?
I'm hoping by 2016. I want to have rough drafts done by this December 1st, final edits done by May 1st 2015, and start querying next summer.

And now I shall pass on the fun to Heather Truett and Michelle Beahm!

3 comments:

  1. Woot! Finally far enough into line edits I feel good about stopping to do this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here ya go! http://madamerubieswrites.blogspot.com/2014/10/priscilla-watson-fictional-and-fabulous.html

      Delete
  2. I just got tagged for this too and was going to tag you in return, good thing I checked! And how fun to read about the protagonist when just last night I learned about the antagonist at writer's group. I'm curious about the magic tattoos and I love a conflicted love interest!

    ReplyDelete