Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Welcome Guest Blogger Jenny and her main character!

Hi everyone! First off, thanks for letting me play here Emily. I now request that your readers proceed to yell at me on twitter @jennyleeSD about getting me to get my own blog. I probably won’t listen, but you know, you can always tell yourself you tried. J

And even though I’m blogless, Michelle Beahm wanted me to reveal a little about my main character in my newest novel, an as of yet unnamed NA Magical Realism project code name “Discovery,” via the All About My Main Character Blog Hop. So here I go:

1)     What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person?

And here’s where I complicate things: you get to meet two characters today! My latest WIP features dual-POV and I can’t pick between college juniors Greer Russo and Carey Nelson because they’re both the best or the worst depending on who you ask. Both fictional, but Greer has the luck (she’d call it misfortune) of becoming infamous. That’s sort of historical.

2)     When is the story set?

Present day, on a small liberal arts campus, somewhere in the mid-West. If you know me, you can guess at what real life college campus (and town) I’ve borrowed as a map for this novel.

3)     What should we know about him/her?

At twenty-four, Carey is older than most juniors. But that’s because when he was five, he had a hemispherectomy and while the brain is an awesome thing and for children bounces back, the recovery took a couple years of his life. Now he’s caught up with his peers, mostly. He’s pre-med, but because of his weakened right side, he knows he’ll never be a surgeon. General practice or research is where it’s at.

Greer’s putting her life back together again. That is, she’s dead. Some creep ran her down in a blue pick up truck on the first Thursday of the semester and now she’s trying to figure out how she provoked him. The only problem is she can’t remember her life before that night. And when she starts finding pieces of the puzzle, even Greer is willing to admit that the chick she used to be was kinda messed up.

4)     What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?

Death messes up Greer’s life. Greer messes up Carey’s life.

Since Carey’s the only person who can see Greer—heck, he can feel her—he’s sort of obligated to help her out, right? Oh and back when Carey was in the hospital brain surgery recovery ward, he made friends with another patient, a girl who like Greer, shouldn’t have still been corporeal. As Carey and Greer dig around their small college town, they start uncovering more and more of Greer’s former life and the nasty stuff she was involved in.

5)     What is the personal goal of the character?

Greer: figure out who the heck she was, and if that has anything to do with who she’s becoming.

Carey: dig himself out of the mini-depression he’s been submersed in lately. You know, do everything that needs to get done, go to class, do homework, score that internship, eat right, sleep eight hours a night… that kind of stuff.

6)     Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it?

I’m usually super tight lipped about my WIP. I have no idea why I agreed to do this. Normally saying, “I’m blogfree” gets me out of talking about my process. But this time Michelle and Emily teamed up to best me!

I’m calling it Project Code Name: Discovery because: 1) I’m a discovery writer and will discover the title eventually, and 2) it’s sort of about discovering things about yourself. It’s way on the nose, but it fits. For now.

7)     When can we expect the book to be published?

Let me ask my Magic Eight Ball. Hmm, reply hazy, try again. Ha! I’m funny!

Fun fact: You won’t ever see this novel published under my legal name. This is pseudonym stuff, so you, lucky readers might be the only people in the world who can put two and two together and come up with my name. Crap, I just say this on the internet. Another brilliant plan foiled!

For realsies though, I’m 44,531 words into what I expect is a 70,000 word manuscript. I draft quickly; I revise at a decent pace too when grad school life allows. So I expect that I will be ready to query this beast in February 2015 (I just made that date up 100%). After that… well, if the Magic Eight ball couldn’t help us out, Game of Thrones certainly can: Jon Snow knows nothing.

And here we go—I’m out! Now, I’m nominating Jodie Andrefski to wow us with her wit.

No comments:

Post a Comment