Monday, October 13, 2014

Welcome guest blogger Michelle Beahm and her main character!

Hello, lovely readers of Emily’s blog, I’m Michelle. Emily was nice enough to tag me for the All About My Main Character Blog Hop, only, silly me, I don’t have a blog yet. (I should think about changing that.) For the sake of this exercise, Emily has been nice enough to lend her blog to me.)
 
This exercise is a way to get to know the main character in my most recent novel. Since my current work in progress is in the very early stages, so the main character and I are still getting to know each other, but I’m happy to share him with anyone else interested.
 
1) What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person? 
Zakar (Zak) Turani, an entirely fictional character. He’s mostly human, but he may or may not have a bit of mage or dragon in his family tree somewhere.
 
2) When is the story set?
A fantasy novel, the story is set in its own world and its own calendar, but I’ve based it mainly off of the Achaemenid Empire, also known as the First Persian Empire, around 550-330 B.C. With a few significant differences, of course.
 
3) What should we know about him/her? 
Zak, by virtue of befriending one of the few mages in one of the city’s Hordes (gangs, basically, although super organized), joined a Horde at a young age, and went through training for quite a few different areas before settling as a thief. Now he runs that part of the organization, and is very loyal to his people, who are, in turn, very loyal to him. His mage friend, Arach, is an honorary member as well. This, of course, causes some conflict with the leader of the Horde Ludek, who hasn’t liked Zak since Zak abandoned his training as an assassin. His life, for a few years now, has been in constant conflict with Ludek, and only because his leaving would cost the Horde a mage has kept him alive and a member of the only family he’s ever had. And he knows it, and walks that fine line carefully.
 
4) What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life? 
In Zak’s world, the main conflict is dragons, who are, in this world, humanoid creatures as deadly and dangerous as the dragons of our mythology. They’re systematically taking over the conflict, and are getting closer and closer to Zak’s home. When the rich and the refugees from other countries start abandoning the prosperous city, he knows it’s only a matter of time before the dragons arrive. Unfortunately, his horde leader and many of the powerful members of the horde are secretly working with the dragons. Zak’s sense of honor means he can’t abandon the city and the people he cares about while so many people close to him are working to destroy his home.
The question is, what can he do about it?
 
5) What is the personal goal of the character?
Growing up as an orphan, in a culture that has a strong emphasis on family, has left Zak with a deep-seeded need to belong. To a place, to people, anything. He wants a home and a family. With his band of thieves, he has that, to a certain extent, but the dragons definitely threaten it. His personal goal is to not lose the only family he’s ever had.
 
6) Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it?  
This novel is in the very early stages of it. A vast majority of the first draft hasn’t even been written yet, so I haven’t even started thinking about titles. I am, however, querying another novel, Matters of the Soul, about a powerful djinni living in modern-day Seattle, which is in the querying stages. More about it can be found on my twitter account, @michelle_beahm.
 
7) When can we expect the book to be published?
In a few years, I’m hoping. I want to get the first draft done by the end of February, at the latest, and then I plan on dedicating much time to revisions and edits, so that hopefully by this time next year, I will be ready to submit it to the agent I hope to have by then, or to query elsewhere if s/he isn’t interested.
 
Now, to pass this along, I tag JennyFerguson for this fun exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment