Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Liebster Award: 10 Questions about my Work-in-Progress

About a week ago, I was tagged by Nikki Roberti for the Liebster Award. (click her name to see her 10 W.I.P answers!) I have to answer her ten questions about my novel and then tag some more people and give them 10 questions. Since my National Novel Writing Month project is fresh in my mind, I thought I'd give you all a little teaser taste of it. This is SAMANA'S FLAIR, a young adult fantasy novel with multiple view points.

1) How did you come up with your WIP’s title?


I had my MC's name picked out in the old story this novel stemmed from. When I decided to give the magical marks a special name and came up with flair, the novel's title fell into place.

2) What motivates you to write?


Not sure how to answer this. I write to escape, to create something bigger and better than myself and my life. A way to connect with others that is very unique. I strive for that kind of writing, and it motivates me to keep going, even when walls of adversity stand before me.

3) Do you find yourself putting past experiences in your book? Give an example!


Yes, yes, yes! Although in this particular novel, I've used more of things I've seen or explored in the setting than interpersonal, emotional experiences. An example: I've been in cliff dwellings of the southwestern U.S. several times in my life, and they inspired the setting for this novel series.

4) What is your main character’s biggest obstacle?


Oh goodness. Um, um, um, probably herself. She's so wrapped up in finding her place in the world that she's got a blurred and bias worldview.

5) What is your crutch word that you always have to go back and delete because you use it too many times?

It's a toss up between "that" and "and". My writing mentor would say "that" takes the prize.

6) Who is your author role model and why?


I'm not sure I have one. There are so many authors I admire, but I pay more attention to their writing then to them as a person. Is that bad? Should I be more aware? Maybe, but all the pretty words!

7) What happens in your favorite scene from your WIP?

Oh good question. I love a deep character and an arc that makes the reader question their initial judgement of a character. Though its sort of sinister, the scene where my antagonist plays out his piousness in a ritual is one of my favorites so far. He feels incredibly real, with all the confliction emotion of the evil he's done and how badly he wants his God's favor.


8) Please share a favorite line from your manuscript!
 

So many choices! Should I give you flirtatious banter or dubious threats or internal wonderment?
I'll give you two:


  • The cycle of madness would continue, and it would ride on the currents of her shame.
  • A hare-fast fog crept and swirled around her, soaking her, snarling her in restricting cloth like an unwanted cocoon.

9) Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?
 
Yep! I'm writing the second half of SAMANA'S FLAIR, and starting the second book in series, working title: A SOUL AND A SONG. But I'm toying with another title for it as well.

 10) What advice do you have for other authors?
 Get out of your own way and feed yourself positive thoughts. When you are positive, you leave the doors of creativity and possibility open. By staying positive even when the muse went out to lunch, you're just taking a moment of respite. In this way, you'll never move backwards.

Now to pass the baton! I'm going to tag Kendra Young as well as some recent NANO sprint buddies MK England, Siolta Saillie, Kelly Loy Gilbert, Katherine Lock, and Ida. (If you don't have a blog, I'd be more than happy to host your post here on my blog.)

And for your 10 questions, we're going to dive into the amazing story you're writing!! I want to know all about it:
  1. Is this W.I.P your nano project and did you start it prior to November 1st?
  2. What is the name and personality of your MC?
  3. What makes your book unique in its age/genre market?
  4. What do you love most about your story?
  5. What area of the plot are you very sure will need some serious editing hours?
  6. Who is your favorite character in your novel?
  7. What is/are your crutch word(s)?
  8. Did you purposely put a bit of your personality into one of your charcters, and if so which one?
  9. What part, if any, of your setting is perfectly clear in your mind?
  10.  What is the biggest obstacle of your MC?

3 comments:

  1. Oy! I love this but I don't really have a strong WIP in progress right now as I'm busy doing edits for deadlines. Should I just pick one of them?
    -Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd love to hear about anything you are working on, even a mid-edit work. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. "get out of your own way" - great advice. "...it would ride on the currents of her shame" beautiful.

    ReplyDelete