Monday, November 2, 2015

How Do You Accomplish World Building?

Happy second National Novel Writing Month day! (If you're participating). I'm typing away with a really big goal this year: 75k-80k, completing my YA fantasy manuscript. That's somewhere around 3300 words a day, so I'm icing my wrists a lot. This post will be short.

I spent hours researching my craft in October, reading blog posts on character, tension, plotting, outlining, symbolism... you name it, I put eyes on it. One thing I noticed is how many different ways people world build. Some say only write what you need, others map it out. Still some fill out long questionaires, others snitch swabs and bits of real world places and call it good.

Me? I'm a memory builder. I picked a place I loved from several family trips and expanded on it. The images and sensory details give my world just enough atmosphere to know where my characters go in the outline and lets them figure out the rest.

How about you? Where do you get world building ideas, inspiration, or go about creating them?

2 comments:

  1. Your wrists have my sympathy! Good luck with your amazing NaNo goal. You can do it!!!

    Recently, I've enjoyed world building by visiting places that inspire locations and taking photos or getting my hands on guidebooks and maps. I really like to know a place to give it some extra depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm sticking close to the goal despite a sick child and work. I hadn't thought of guidebooks! *types a note in my world building doc* Thanks for that suggestion. Where has your latest trip been too? What are you working on now?

      Delete