Tuesday, January 12, 2016

#FicFest: A New Contest for Fiction Authors!

It's no secret that I'm majorly involved in the online writing community. From forums and critiques to leading fundraisers and entering my manuscripts in various contests as a hopeful for the agent rounds, I love every minute of it. (If you haven't had a chance to donate toward helping Veronica Bartles and her family fix their house, check out the GoFundMe page here.) 

When it came to those contests, even as I struggled along with writerly friends in anticipation of being the chosen one (virtual tequila floats and all!), I always had the thought in the back of my mind that someday I'd like to pay it forward and be a mentor or judge for such a life changing event for another writer.



This week I had my chance. Tiffany Hoffman, an author friend who single-handedly pulled me through NANO last November, announced on one of our Facebook groups that she was launching a new contest in March called FicFest and would any of us like to participate via marketing or being a team leader? My virtual hand shot into the air.



Soon I found myself as Team Leader for Picture Book team #1 (I mean that numerically and competitively, we are going to rock this contest!)

The YA, NA, and Adult teams still need a few members so if you'd like to participate within that capacity, be sure to check out this link and email the contest admins. 



Here's a blurb from the webpage:

"FicFest is a brand new contest launching in 2016 that will help put manuscripts in front of agents. FicFest is unique in that this contest covers the five major categories of writing: Children's Books, Middle Grade, Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult. The chances for each category to get agent requests is equal. Unlike most writing contests, an equal number of finalists will be chosen for each category so that one does not overpower the other. FicFest creators also ensure that there will be a plethora of agents wanting each of these categories. Our goal is to help writers of all book types get out there, get great feedback, and have the opportunity to get requests from agents.

How AWESOME does that sound?




If you're an author with a manuscript that may just be ready to snag an agent's attention, I'd encourage you to keep your eyes out for contest open submission tweets or to follow my blog for updates on the happenings involved with #FicFest. There will be team announcements and introductions, as well as fun posts to get to know us prior to submissions, and I'm hoping to keep a stream of teasers going on twitter as we make our final decisions. I can't wait to see all the amazing picture books that come my way. I want this to be a difficult decision!

Have a manuscript you're thinking of submitting? Tell me about it in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment